While most of us have general cleaning equipment handy (brooms, mops, sponges etc.) it’s always nice to have a few little tips and tricks up your sleeve! Read on to discover our list of 10 handy cleaning tips!
- While sweeping, avoid getting your broom wet. It can damage the bristles and shorten the life of your broom. If you have to wash your broom dry it upside down to prevent the bristles from becoming bent or damaged.
- If your glassware come out of your dish washer a little cloudy, fix the problem by adding about one teaspoon of Epsom Salts the next time you do a cycle. Your glasses should come out sparkling!
- Eucalyptus oil is the best way to remove scuff marks made by shoes from vinyl floors. Dab a small amount on a paper towel and just wipe them away! Using eucalyptus oil is also a great way to remove sticky residue left by price tags or bottle labels.
- If you’ve broken your favourite wine or beer glass, have no fear! Pick up those pesky fragments of broken glass from the floor by pressing pieces of bread onto the affected area. Don’t eat the bread afterwards.
- If cleaning your bathroom, always do it after a shower. Steam releases dirt and makes it easier to clean after a hot shower or bath.
- Hate spiders? Squeeze a little lemon juice onto a broom the next time you are sweeping and apply it to the walls and ceiling. The lemon juice will stop spiders from settling in your home as they abhor the smell of lemon juice.
- Always keep a bottle of vinegar in your cupboard. It is an invaluable and inexpensive cleaning product that is great for removing stickers from glass, wood or china, and can also be used to remove mould and mildew from bathroom walls and shower curtains.
- Here’s a quick and easy way to clean your microwave oven – add four tablespoons of lemon juice to one cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Set your microwave to high and boil the mixture for approximately five minutes. This allows the steam to coat the walls of the microwave oven and remove grease. Simply wipe down the walls with a soft cloth and you’re done!
- Is your toilet looking a bit tired and worn out? Rejuvenate your porcelain by cleaning your toilet with old flat Coke or Pepsi. To dissolve limescale, leave the soft drink overnight to soak.
- Ensure that you get the longest life from your mop by always rinsing it thoroughly after use to remove all dirt or cleaning solution. Soap and cleaning product residue can damage your mop almost as much as leaving dirt to dry on it can. By allowing the mop to dry properly you will prevent bacteria growth – a good idea is to place the mop outside on a clothes line to dry in the sun.
To view our full range of Oates cleaning products including brooms, mops and buckets click here.